Sunday 15 April 2012

What lies beneath..part one

I did something today.  Perhaps it is just old age creeping in and the prospects of living out the rest of my life in solitude or maybe it is just a need that has to be fulfilled while I am still young enough to enjoy it.  I know I have to get out more.  All those past decades have piled on the pounds and my fitness routine has not kept up with it.  You would think that wrestling with the "kids" every day (and night, since Jak will NOT let me sleep through one) would be exercise enough.  Not so.  Hence my newest acquisition - the Garrett Pro 250.  A what?  It's a metal detector, you know, the thingy that one uses to scan the ground surface to hunt for anything of value that might be hidden underneath....like gold, silver and other precious metals.  At least that is what I dreamt the first time we headed out into the mudflats to unearth our secret treasure troves.  That was over 20 years ago.  Emil, another "mudflatter", and I headed to the sand dunes of McDonald Beach on Sea Island to earn our fortunes.  Four hours later - a cheap broken watch, several rusted washers and bent nails, and too many bottle caps to mention - we earned a grand total of 8 cents for our efforts which we split between the two of us.  Deflated and tired from all the digging, I hung up my trowel and vowed that I would have to earn a living some other way.  So why now?  I tried to spend my money on two kayaks to spend the upcoming summer days paddling with friends on the pristine waters of the west coast lakes and bays.  The idea fell flat.  I either needed new friends who shared my spirit of adventure or I needed to look at something I could do on my own (or with those same friends should adventure suddenly strike them).  A detector is cheaper than a kayak, easier to carry, requires similar amounts of exertion, and offers the slim chance that I could strike it rich.  Rich attracts companions.  My prospects of singleton living could change as a result.  At least I won't be bored and all the fresh air, walking and bending will do me good.  It arrives in two weeks...

3 comments:

  1. Sharon, I think you are a candidate to try geocaching. I do; I really do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...I had no idea what geocaching was until I Googled it. It sounds like something that I would certainly be interested in trying with caches hidden so very close to home. Might be time to pick up another "toy" and play along! Thanks for the tip! ca-ching! More $$s down... :)

    ReplyDelete